BIOBEAM gamma irradiation devices are fully protected
devices for comfortable, effective and precise irradiation in
transfusion medicine and research.
The extra-high radiation volume enables irradiation of up to 20 blood bags in one single cycle and the use of a wide variety of special containers.
With the BIOBEAM 8000, two positions are available for the beakers. The position for smaller beakers are closer to the source and receive a higher dose rate. Therefore the irradiation period
can be halved, when irradiating smaller volumes.
The oscillation of the source provides an optimum dose distribution within the full irradiation volume. A dose difference
of less than 10% can be realised by using special irradiation inserts.
The entire BIOBEAM operation is carried out easily using a touchscreen which is connected to an in-built,
high-performance industrial computer. This enables the direct selection of irrradiation programs by the simplest
possible means. At the same time, BIOBEAM identifies the beaker and checks the correspondence with the selected irradiation program.
BIOBEAM blood irradiation systems are fully protected devices with less than 3 μSv/h surface dose rate. This means
that no additional radiation protection measures are necessary. Also there is no radiation surveillance required for
staff, e.g. your personnel has not to be equipped with dosemeters.
The safety functions of the BIOBEAM guarantee highest safety, e.g. the monitoring system, which controls the
irradiation period, the oscillation of the source, the rotation of the irradiation load, the position of the rotary shielding
and the irradiation beaker closure.
BIOBEAM provides a variety of optional expansions to match the customer’s specific needs:
- Barcode reader and printer for comfortable irradiation documentation
- Integration of BIOBEAM in a blood bank software via an optional network connection
- Observation monitor (nurse station)
- Inserts for specific irradiation tasks
- Operation with key switch and safety code
- Irradiation cycle in progress continues for up to 20 min, in case of power failure
- Removal of the irradiation load also in case of system failure
- Interdependent locking of loading hatch and irradiation chamber
- Monitoring and control of irradiation period, oscillation of source, rotation of the irradiation load, position of the rotary shielding, irradiation beaker closure
- Automatic recognition of used irradiation beaker
- Self-check of the irradiation unit before and during the irradiation procedure
- Integrated computer continually saves all data relevant to the irradiation process
Optimum Dose Distribution
- BIOBEAM dose distribution
- Typical dose distribution of other devices
||1.3 l 5.1 l 7.5 l
||94 mm 170 mm 190 mm
|Dose rate at center of beaker
||5Gy/min 2.8Gy/min 2.6Gy/min
|Number of sources
||44.4 TBq ± 20%
||81.4 TBq ± 20%
|Special form certificate
|External dimension (W x D x H)
||660 x 670 x 1,645 mm
||810 x 810 x 1,740 mm
|Recommended room size
||min. 2 x 2 m
||min. 2 x 2 m
||95–130 V/190 –260 V;
|95–130 V/190 –260 V;
||+ 5 to + 40°C
||+ 5 to + 40°C
|Surface dose rate
||< 3 μSv/h up to 60 TBq Cs137
||< 3 μSv/h up to 99 TBq Cs137